Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Something Wicked Redux



Yes, yes, I know - I'm recycling old work. Well, sort of - I took this shot with the light tent tonight. Even with the one full spectrum light not working, I think it came out better than I could have done after dark previously (the best time of day for my to take photos - the Short One loves cameras, even more so because I avoid letting him plant his sticky paws on the camera lens - I try to take all photos while he is sleeping). Anyway, I took this shot because I'm entering another contest. Voting hasn't opened yet, but I'm sure you'll be hearing from me when it does. (Honestly, the fact that you put up with all of this and still read the blog never ceases to amaze me. You are really nice people. And I'm not just saying that to butter you up or anything. Truly.)

Also, I wanted to get the icky aftertaste of that failed cobweb pendant off of the front page of the blog as quickly as possible. (Rachel, thank you for your kind comment. I know you worked quite hard to reach the level of expertise that you currently have with icing - but you still have great talent!!! I can barely write my name legibly these days, my hand shakes so much. I don't know how much room for improvement I have, sigh. I will try the technique again, though - it beats a lot of cutting and soldering...)

I was planning on making beads tonight, but in a moment of distraction, I accidentally cast on the Short One's costume/sweater and ended up spending my bead time working on that. It is exactly 2" long right now (I am knitting it in one piece, so that is both the front and back panels). I'm surrrrre I have plenty of time to finish it before Sunday. Absolutely. No problem. At all.

So, if, contrary to my earlier promise, you don't see new beads for a few days, that'll be why. At least I'm not in denial about the Short One's costume/sweater any more.

By the way, it's occurred to me that I haven't showered you with verse or song lyrics recently. When I was living in England, the Tube was running a series called "Poems on the Underground" or something similar to that. In spaces usually reserved for advertising, the transit folks would post poetry. I traveled up to London quite a bit to do research at the British Library, and I always enjoyed reading the poems. It was really difficult to resist reading them, no matter how late the hour or how tired I was. (New York later adopted a similar program called "Poetry in Motion", but for some reason I never liked their selection of poems as much. Either that, or my job at the time just put me in too poor of a humor to appreciate them during my commute.) One poem in particular always made me and my friend Ingrid (she of the Little Something Wicked bracelet) laugh. I apologize if I'm misquoting, as this is from memory - but it went something like this:

When I am sad and lonely,
When I feel all hope has gone,
When I walk along High Holborn,
I think of you with nothing on.

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That necklace is awesome! I remember when that movie came out; my son was just a little boy then; we were soooo spooked! P.S. I did not think that web looked so bad; I rather enjoyed it!

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks, Vickie! I don't actually remember the movie (I never really enjoyed horror films) - I'll have to look it up.