Friday, October 19, 2007

Rolypoly Donuts



Here they are finally - Sarah Moran's new bead design, the Rolypoly Donut. I know it's hard to gauge size from this photo, but these are big beads - over an inch in diameter - and they are large-holed. The green one has been poked to create a little bubble in each chamber and the orange one has not. I reallly love these beads, so much so that I've managed to remember to visit Sarah's site when she puts up new work - Thursday night at 8pm (this in itself is difficult, because it's the Short One's bedtime) - for the past two weeks. I just bought a cool blue version of the bead last night. I think they would look fabulous just on a leather cord (I think most of her beads look great that way), but, knowing me, I imagine I'll come up with a more decorative use for them. The green one has a designated purpose but the other two do not. I have to admit, though, it's tempting to get some heavy gauge jump rings and just connect the three of them in one extravagant chain necklace.

In other news, I finally broke down and bought a light tent on eBay the other night. I'd been holding off on it, but it just seems ridiculous, given how much time, effort and moolah I've been spending on making jewelry lately, not to have a way to photograph the pieces effectively. Or, at least, photograph them effectively in theory. In my dreams, my days of slapping necklaces down on the stove range will be over... I'm sure the Short One will approve. In fact, I'm so sure the Short One will approve, I'm planning on setting everything up in our unfinished basement, where he can't get to it easily. Given the Husband's propensity for getting into things (on one of our first dinner dates, he started tapping on the faux marble walls outside the restaurant until he found one that sounded hollow and ripped the whole panel off to reveal a fire extinguisher and related equipment - I nearly died of embarrassment) I don't expect the SO's habit of tinkering will change as he grows older. However, I'm hoping the potential for injury and breakage will abate a little. And if you have older kids and have a different opinion, don't tell me - I don't want to know. La la la la (fingers in ears).

I'm in the initial stages of coming up with a new sculptural design for PMC. I'm hoping it won't take me too long to refine. Hopefully, I'll have something new to show you by Monday. Well, maybe Tuesday. My father is arriving today for a weekend visit, so I may not have much time for beads this weekend.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful weekend and visit with your dad, and looking forward to seeing your new design!

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks, Vickie - take care!

the vicious chicken said...

Heehee - you always make me giggle :o) Love the anecdote of your husband ripping apart the restaurant walls!

Hope you're enjoying your weekend,
VCx

Melissa J. Lee said...

It's an absolutely true story (although, in all fairness, I must say he was spurred on to this activity by an extremely discreet sign saying that fire extinguishing equipment was nearby in case of emergency - it's not as if he goes around tapping on walls as a matter of course). Sometimes I think he does things like that now just to keep me on my toes...