Tuesday, October 2, 2007

So, What About The KNITTING?



Well, this is still a bit of a cheat, because I knit this several months ago, but here it is - the Short One's Halloween costume for this year (at least part of it). I bought this yarn intending to make him a little watch cap similar to what Daddy wears, but when it came, the color was so irresistible that I couldn't, well, resist. Anyway, I'm a little more wary these days about fancy costumes that the Short One will wear all of three times and then discard, so I have a cunning plan... In theory, at least, I will simply knit a plain stockinette stitch sweater and maybe a pair of mittens in the same blue color. I think it will go well enough as a costume, as long as he has the hat on. Then, for the rest of the winter it will, theoretically, turn into an everyday sweater. That's the plan, at least.

Well, the results are out for the Stringing Design Challenge, and I sadly did not earn placement in the magazine. Please go here to see the first place winner and Editor's Pick. Thanks again to everyone who voted for me! Erm, I am intending to try again - this quarter's challenge theme is "Double Trouble", so I'm sure you'll hear more from me about this later, hopefully in tones that are not too heckling.

Ooh, calloo, callay - this month's Art Bead Scene challenge is "Gothic Queen". And I swore that the cursed necklace would be my last skull necklace of the season. (Of course, I've already made so many pieces that qualify that I already have five entries for the contest.) I may have to make, well, one more skull-y piece... Go here to view the current entries.

Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

Monkee Maker said...

LOVE that hat .... the googly eyes, the wonky smile, the colour ..... you don't make them in grown-up sizes too do you??

Melissa J. Lee said...

Alas, this hat is strictly for the S.O.'s personal use - it's actually based on a US children's television character that he loves by an institution that I greatly admire. I can't do anything that even smacks of being commercial with this pattern/hat or even circulating other little (or big) hats of the same ilk. I'm sorry! (And I say this as one who would like to create a nice home for a monkee one day - any more thoughts on that Etsy store, eh?) The S.O. does look quite cute wearing it, though.

Melissa J. Lee said...

ps. Having said all that, have you ever seen "Hank's Dragon Mittens" that the Yarn Harlot knit for her nephew? Go here to view: http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2004/02/07/here_there_be_dragons.html
Simply the best!

the vicious chicken said...

WOW! a Cookie Monster hat: that's brilliant!! What an inspired idea... If I were a cleverer knitter I would want to try making a mini-version to join my Octo-hat and the other LWHs... but alas, I think I would fail miserably. Will just have to dream of what could have been :o)
VCx

Melissa J. Lee said...

VC, I don't think anything could top your Octo-Ball hat!

MM, VC's response suggests to me that you already knew who the hat was (so to speak). Sorry about that - the only children's show I remember seeing in England was "Blue Peter". ..

Anonymous said...

The hat IS adorable! Nice work!

Rachel said...

I love the hat too cute. Sorry to hear about the contest.

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks!

FP, Eh, you win some you lose some. If I don't try, though, I'll never win! I'm going to enter the next one, too...