Saturday, October 6, 2007

Hato Cards




My Hato cards arrived in the mail today, and I'm afraid I couldn't wait until Monday - I wanted to show a few to you right now! Hato are traditional Korean cards. A deck has 12 suits of four cards - each suit represents a different month of the year. The general goal of the card game is to acquire as many complete suits as possible (this is a bit of an oversimplification, but more of less correct). Anyway, the cards are beautifully illustrated - the highest value cards have the most complex designs. The cards in the photo above are examples of high value cards. I grew up playing a simple version of this game with my mother, and I have a sentimental attachment to it, as a result. The cards are much smaller (and heavier) than Western playing cards, and I think they will be suitable for pendants, etc. Anyway, that's where I'm heading with all of this, although, of course, I have had a nice deck in my possession for a while now that I don't intend to touch, as I still enjoy playing the game (when I can find a partner - Mom, when are you visiting next?).

If you are interested in learning how to play with Hato cards, Randy L. Pearson has actually created shareware and on-line versions of the game. Please go here to check it out.

As for me, well, remember that bead show that I was supposed to be skipping to avoid temptation? Erm, well, it's tomorrow... I can't help it - I'm just a weak-willed woman. (Plus, I've been de-stashing on eBay, so I have a little more bead money - rationalize, rationalize). Anyway, it's a small, local one, so how much damage could I do really? Right? Right??

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Monkee Maker said...

I used to love (and still do) playing cards with my family when we were away in our caravan or at christmas. They weren't as pretty as those though.

Have fun at the bead show ..... go wild!

Melissa J. Lee said...

So you're a card shark, eh? I'm planning my exit strategy for the bead show (the SO gets upset if he actually sees me leave the house) right now. Hope you are having a great day yourself!