Monday, October 22, 2007

BOO!



Since it's technically Monday, I'm going to go ahead and post this. I stayed up too late stringing it, but I couldn't resist. I like how the PMC web turned out (I have another version of a spider's web that turned out poorly. I'll try to show you that one later this week). I wasn't sure how the linoleum cutter (which is what I use to carve the stamp) would do on thin lines, but it seems to have worked pretty well. The ceramic beads that I added are all by Melanie Brooks Lukacs of Earthenwood Studio. I didn't know what I was going to do with these beads at the time I bought them from her. She has a little spider bead in the same series - now I wish I'd bought one of them. Perhaps the spider has gone out for a walk? Perhaps the wearer is the spider? Yeah, that's it. I used the black dagger Czech glass to suggest spider legs. I finished the piece with amber, Czech pressed glass leaves and Swarovski crystals.

Given how close Halloween is, this will probably be the last Halloween-themed piece. Yep, it's almost time to buy the Halloween candy for the trick-or-treaters (I typically wait until the last minute to buy the candy to avoid temptation. It's one of the nice things about not working outside of the house right now - my former office used to be replete with holiday sweets from now until the New Year. I'd always gain at least five pounds.) For any overseas visitors who are unaware of the American custom - candy is given out to trick-or-treaters, rather than money. I found the Engish custom intriguing. Of course, I found Guy Fawkes' Day even more intriguing, especially since I lived near Lewes and had the opportunity to see the Pope burned in effigy during the Lewes celebration. More on this later.

Sorry for the short entry, buy I'm barely able to prop my eyelids up at this point. Yawn. (Oh, how funny - I accidentally typed "Yarn" the first time, instead of "Yawn." What does that say about my fiber obsession, I wonder?) Good night.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome web piece! It's perfect!

the vicious chicken said...

Oooh you lived near Lewes? I have friends from there, and they took us to the bonfire night processions last year. I actually got quite freaked out in the crush of people... but the spectacle is very impressive, isn't it?
VCx

Monkee Maker said...

Another great piece .... and what's the bets you then proceeded to dream about sheep after you couldn't stop "yarning"?!

Rachel said...

You always amaze me. I love this a piece!!!

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks for all of the kind comments!

MM, "yarning" sounds like something you'd do in a field, like calling all of the errant balls of wool back to the basket for the night.

VC - yep, I lived in Brighton for two years, while doing postgrad work at the Univ. of Sussex. I love Lewes, regardless - it's such a beautiful little town. Bonfire night was spectacular, but I have to say - I found the men in papal robes waving burning crosses completely disturbing. I think any American, especially one who grew up in the southern states, would have some issues with this, and not even necessarily for religious reasons. I understand that there are only two places in the country that really celebrate Guy Fawkes like this, though?