Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Baby Bear



I don't have anything new to share today, so I thought I'd post an older piece. I made this necklace to commemorate the Short One's 1st birthday. The sterling tag, which was made by Shannon Westmeyer (this pre-dates my working with PMC), has the Short One's name and birth date on it. I had mentioned to Lezlie Belanger that I had been looking for a special set for a birthday necklace. Within a week she created a special bead set with a baby bear in party hat, a slice of cake, a "1", several other party hats and presents for me. Needless to say, I was thrilled. I added some of her cupcakes and ice cream beads to finish the piece. I love Lezlie's work. This necklace was a real splurge for me, given the sheer number of sculptural lampworked beads I used in it. However, I still think it captures the feel of a young child's birthday. (Why, you ask, do I get a nice commemorative necklace when it's the Short One's birthday? Well, that's another issue!)

Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was an awesome idea and it is a wonderful, beautitiful and creative piece of art to commorate your child's birth.

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks, Vickie! It reminds me of the Short One whenever I wear it (which is, inevitably these days, when he's not around to tug on it) - it makes me happy. (It makes him happy, too - I just have to wait for him to become a little gentler to hold it!)

After Hours Art Glass said...

Hey Melissa!!
I had no idea what you've been up to! Very pretty necklace and beads of course ;)

Melissa J. Lee said...

Hi Shannon! Thanks for stopping by - it's nice to hear from you. The beads in this piece are the best! :)

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

I love this
Suzie Sews

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks, Suzie!