Monday, November 19, 2007

WIP - Princess Charming



I was hoping to show you new work today, and I just haven't been able to get far enough along on it. Here's a Work In Progress pic, instead. You can kind of tell where I'm going with this, no? This interpretation may be wrongheaded to some of a feminist bent, but then again, I always did like classic fairy tales. I just wished that the princess had a more active role to play. M.M. Kaye has a nice modern version fairy tale - with a down to earth princess - written, I believe, for her granddaughter, called The Ordinary Princess. I'm also extremely fond of Gail Carson Levine's Ella Enchanted, a spirited re-telling of Cinderalla. (There was a movie version made of this recently with Anne Hathaway in the lead - have no idea whether it was any good or not.) Long before Harry Potter ever came out and long after I became an "adult" (at least on paper - some may still question my level of maturity), I could often be found reading stuff in the juvenile section of the bookstore. This occasionally causes my mother a bout of embarrassment, but as far as I'm concerned, a good book is a good book whatever the target age group. I'm still quite fond of books that I did read when I was a child, like The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, too. In fact, I'm quite looking forward to the Short One becoming old enough to read some of these books together. (Right now, we're working on The Very Hungry Caterpillar and some Dr. Seuss, which are good in their own way.)

The shop, for some reason, is still a time sink. I can't figure it out - sales have been modest enough to keep up with easily, I don't have a tremendous amount of inventory listed, but still, I seem to be rushing around. It's a mystery. On the whole, though, I have to say that so far it's been a great experience, and I've become a big fan of Etsy. For anyone thinking of trying this themselves, I do recommend Etsy as a very easy way to go.

Anyway, with any luck, I will have this necklace finished by the end of the week, notwithstanding Thanksgiving. As fond as I am of the koi pendants, I'm really feeling ready to move on to something new.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: