Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Let it Snow Revisited




I've been trying to create a new seasonal pendant and made this prototype today. What do you think? I've been staring at it for so long that I can no longer decide if it looks cute or not. I will say that the background color turned out much much darker after the application of the resin than I anticipated. Next time I will try a lighter blue. Does it look like a stylized snowflake to you?

I put a couple more koi into the shop, including a double, yin yang version that sent me into conniptions this evening. I doubt I will be doing many of these. The sheer amount of fine silver involved in making a bezel this size makes me nervous. I think to myself "Don't make a mistake, don't make a mistake" (okay, what I'm actually thinking is a little more pithy than this, but you get the picture) and, of course, the minute I start thinking this, I inevitably and perversely choke. Yep. In some ways I do very well under pressure, but in others, not so much. In this case, the pendant came out fine, but I did in fact choke on two smaller pendants I was working on at the same time. Grrr.

On the other hand, as I was planning on how to execute this piece, my mother (who is visiting for Thanksgiving) kept commenting on what a nice size the pendant was and how she'd be able to wear something like it. Mother, being the arbiter of good taste in the Family, has apparently given this design her seal of approval, which is a good thing. However, she does have a tendency to make off with my best handknit sweaters and jewelry (sorry Mom, but you have to admit that it's true), so I'll probably have to keep one eye on the pendant while she's visiting...

On a completely different note - Vicious Chicken, if you are reading this, I have to profusely apologize. I know I promised you a little return Monkey Love, and I have yet to deliver. It turns out that I needed to order something for the ML, and it's still in the process of being shipped to me. Please do believe, however, that I haven't forgotten! (For anyone who finds this statement a little dodgy, please go here for elucidation.)

Speaking of Monkey Love, there have been odd banging noises emanating from the hall closet lately and muffled demands (with an oddly English sounding accent) for bananas and lager - not necessarily in that order. I feel that the Short One is likely to receive a few guests of his own for Thanksgiving this year. (And if this also makes no sense to you whatsoever, ditto.)

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

the vicious chicken said...

Still loving the koi pendants - they look great! Make sure you do keep a close eye on the new double koi one though - sounds like your Mum does have her eye on it...

I'm both intrigued and excited about the forthcoming monkey love (which does sound weird out of context, you're right!) I shall look forward to it with eager anticipation :o)
VCx

PS good call on letting those monkees out at Thanksgiving, not Christmas. Another month in your hall cupboard and they'd probably wreak all kinds of havoc in there!