Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Variations on a Theme



This drawing was the result of a collaboration between my son and his grandmother. Grandma calls this a Pollock-inspired piece. I've been wanting to incorporate my son's artwork into my jewelry for the past month, but I just haven't had time. Also, I'm on hiatus from working with PMC at the moment. I purchased a kiln a few weeks ago, and I intend to wait until it arrives to fire any more pieces. The wait thus far has seemed verrrrry long.

I saw a program in England back in the early 90s, when I was living there, documenting a children's art contest. The kids were divided into two teams, and each team was led by a group of adults. The challenge was to turn the children's drawings into appropriate artwork for stamps, with the winners' pieces actually to be used on Royal Mail stamps. One team decided that the children's work needed to be "improved" and had professional artists render new drawings based on each child's piece. This concept just flabbergasted me. How do you "improve" a child's drawing? I felt very sorry for the kids on this team, who were understandably upset by the artists' attempt to turn their wonderful art into something more "professional". Needless to say, the end result was a complete failure - art that had completely lost its freshness. That team didn't win. I still wonder what those people were thinking. It only keeps me up at night a couple times a year now, though.

No comments: