Sunday, August 12, 2007

Love In Idleness



Well, I just took a batch of PMC out of the kiln, including the focal and clasp for my first "Midsummer Night's Dream" necklace. The photo above is of the focal. The glass flower bead (by Maria Grimes of Garden Path Beads) is not fixed in the pendant yet - it's currently free standing. Unfortunately, although I tried to take the 10-12% shrinkage rate into account, the PMC3 shrunk enough that the leaves of the flower bead now obscure the words, slightly more than I intended. I have to figure out how much this bothers me. Can you read "LOVE IN IDLENESS" here? Incidentally, "love in idleness" is the name of the flower that caused all of the romantic confusion in the play. More on this later, when the necklace is actually finished. Hmmm. What to do, what to do.

2 comments:

melanie brooks said...

Lovely! You know, I don't mind that the words are obscured a bit. It makes it a bit more myesterious and looks more like a decorative element, and then you have to get in closer to really read it. It doesn't just whack you over the head, you know? Thats the hard thing about putting words in art...they scream to be read.

my 2 cents

Can't wait to see the rest~

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks, Melanie! I think I am just going to use it. Strategic placement of the flower bead seems to make the words clear enough to read while, as you say, not hitting one over the head with the words. Hopefully, I'll get the piece finished tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again!