Monday, January 11, 2010

To Infinity and Beyond


I meant to post this a couple months ago and never got around to it. When the Short One moved to a big boy bed this fall, we let him pick out the bed linens himself. I can't tell you how secretly pleased I was when he chose the solar system design over the cars and trucks (and we really didn't influence his decision in any way). While there are times when I feel that mixing my DNA with my husband's has resulted in a mad experiment gone awry, there are also those moments when I feel completely satisfied to pass on my geeky tendencies to the next generation. Hopefully, said Next Generation will not hold it against me as he grows up.

But, seriously, isn't this a cute set? It even has a Pluto - Retired pillow. We bought it from The Land of Nod, one of our favorite local stores for all things Short One related. (I should point out for any interested parties that this is actually a summer quilt. We can use it in the middle of winter because the SO still sleeps in a fleecy sleeper suit - due to his continuing tendency to snooze on top of the covers rather than under them.)

Once again, I've dropped the ball and missed posting my bead and jewelry links yesterday. My apologies. There's lots of good stuff here, so I hope you will check them out:

Cindy Gimbrone aka The Lampwork Diva
Cindy's made a New Year's resolution to clean out the studio with a January clearance sale!

The Writing and Art of Andrew Thornton
A luminous Golden Cloud Series Basha Bead inspires Andrew to create a bracelet ready to take flight!

Carmi's Art/Life World
Demon Monkeys appear in Carmi's projects this week.

About.com Jewelry Making
Artfire, Zibbet, Etsy, which of these is the right selling venue for your jewelry?

A Bead A Day
If you are looking for some unique findings to use in your valentine jewelry (or Twilight jewelry), Lisa uses some interesting domed filligree pieces to house a bright red mysterious bead.

Lorelei's Blog: Inside the Studio
Looking for just the right clasp? Lorelei reviews a few from Artbeads.com.

Jewelry & Beading
Cyndi has started a new series, called "What would you do" to discuss some of the sticky dilemmas we face in jewelry making.

Earthenwood Studio Chronicles
Melanie starts the new year with a new source of inspiration... a project she calls Song Lore.

Art Bead Scene
ABS Rewind: Art Bead Scene isn't just about art beads, it's about artist made buttons too!

Jean Campbell
Jean is sharing stories and images this week about her stops in CA. Monterey brought the most creative inspiration of all.

Snap out of it, Jean! There's beading to be done!
Jean meets a cool new friend who offers us a great jewelry teaching site!

Strands of Beads
Melissa is the author of Softflex Company's Spotlight On...Article for January 2010

Thanks for visiting.

4 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

I especially love the Pluto pillow. Nice touch. Keep the set until SO is at least in 3rd grade when he has to do the solar system model. My daughter, the Tiny Dancer, decided that we should do all the planets as pieces of jewelry. This will certainly be the most expensive solar system if not the most unique! We have all the beads and now we need to get to the big bang of it all and start creating! Thanks for sharing! Enjoy the day! Erin

mairedodd said...

oh, that reminds me so very much of my son at his age... he had books upon books about the solar system... was always on the internet... and now google earth has google sky... i love the pillow! glad that pluto hasn't been forgotten about! so is there a new phrase they are using to teach the kids the order of the planets?

Melissa J. Lee said...

Hi Erin, I like the way your daughter thinks - I am working on a solar system piece, too. We will have to compare notes once we're both done!

Melissa J. Lee said...

There _is_ a new one, but it escapes me now - I'll look it up. I've been telling the SO "my very educated mother just served us nachos", but he doesn't think much of it... Actually, he may not know what nachos are...