Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Twilight


Finally, new work! A while ago, I was invited by the good folks at Artbeads.com to sample some of their extensive collection of Swarovski crystal beads. While I was highly tempted to try one of the gorgeous Swarovski crystal pendants (I am a big fan of the coral-shaped pendants), I decided it was time to dust off an idea I had jotted down in my book a couple years ago - a necklace made from the vibrant colors of a sunset.

Artbeads.com has such a beautiful assortment of colors to choose from - it made putting this part of the design together quite easy. For this choker, I used Hyacinth, Light Siam, Siam, Cobalt Blue, Dark Sapphire, Dark Indigo and Purple Velvet 4mm bicones.

I originally envisioned a simple double-stranded necklace of graduated sunset colored crystal combined with simple onyx beads - no swag, no ornamentation, just very, very plain. However, once I finished wire-wrapping these beads and put them together with the onyx, the whole effect was just too dark. I tried garnet next, but the dark red shade of my beads didn't make the crystal pop very effectively. I was a little surprised to discover that these copper rose potato pearls worked quite well (in my opinion, at least) with the range of orange, red, blue and purple crystal beads. I created a simple swag out of my crystal chain, added two mocca round Swarovski crystals to "cap" the pearls, and then I did finish my choker with faceted onyx and one of Robert Jennick's simple sterling clasps.


It's certainly satisfying to get an idea that has been languishing in my notebook into the real world. I think this color combination is very versatile and could make, for example, beautiful waterfall-style earrings or a very pretty cocktail ring. I am extremely happy with the way this necklace turned out and highly recommend checking out Artbeads.com selection of Swarovski crystal.

Thanks for visiting!

11 comments:

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

Oh Melissa: this is heavenly! I love it! What a wonderful assortment of colors and what a wonderful design! I bet it looks GREAT on! I would love to see this one actually encircling someone's neck--maybe mine? :)

xox jean!

Margot Potter said...

Simply stunning. I love the use of color. Beautiful design, Melissa.

xoxo
Margot

Melissa J. Lee said...

Jean - thank you! It drapes nicely and has nice movement - which most of my big, bulky pieces don't! It's a nice change of pace!

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thank you, Margot!

Cyndi L said...

Those pearls are just magnificent! What a lovely design :-)

Tammy said...

What a neat idea to do with the dangling crystal chain. I love how they swag around the piece.

Linda Augsburg said...

Really lovely! the pearls do add just the right balance! And I'm inspired by your achievement of taking something from sketch to reality. I've got to follow suit.

Alice said...

Wow, it's just beautiful! Love the name too. It must have taken you forever to attach those dangles.

Lisa Crone said...

Oh my gosh! This is so awesome! You look, then you look again, then you study and then, go ahh. SO COOL!

Jeannie said...

The color palette is unusual and striking. It just flows.

I had the pleasure recently to be an artbead contributor and it was a blast. Swarovski are so beautiful and fun to work with.

The Lone Beader® said...

Nice work!! :)