Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Childhood


We spent an extended Labor Day weekend at my folks' house. It was the first time we'd visited in a couple years, so to it was basically a brand-new experience for the Short One. I'm happy to report that the SO quite satisfactorily ran his grandparents into a state of complete exhaustion while I got in some quality nap-time (unfortunately, like an idiot, I failed to bring enough head pins with me to complete my project and was unable to obtain more while there).

For myself, there are a few objects from my youth that my parents are still hanging onto for me, including the above. As a child, I was never a girly-girl, but I did love unicorns and had quite a collection of them. My Dad found this one at a gallery on Bourbon Street in New Orleans back in the 1970s and brought it home for me. It's made of some kind of very light wood. I don't dare have it in my house now, as I think it would be broken into tiny pieces by the little tornado that lives here, but it was nice seeing it. I've been vaguely thinking that I should find a gryffon or lion or something to keep it company.

I hope everyone else had a good weekend. Here are my ever-late links for the week:

Jean Campbell
Jean's got a cool job--check out what she's been working on!

Jewelry & Beading
Cyndi shares another CopprClay project, which includes making your own mold!

Lorelei's Blog: Inside the Studio
While in Philadelphia for Bead Fest, Lorelei met up with Andrew Thornton and he gave her some presents!

A Bead A Day
Do you have some favorite beads that bring you joy? Lisa is using "inspirational sliders" to make gifts for friends and would love to hear about your joyful beads!

Cindy Gimbrone aka Lampwork Diva
Cindy brings some color to her new bronze floral medallions.

Barbe Saint John - New Jewelry from Forgotten Artifacts
Tool talk-this time its hole punching pliers & wire cutters

Carmi's Art/Life World
Carmi shows off her unexpected bead finds from a store in Little Portugal.

The Writing and Art of Andrew Thornton
Andrew and Diana Ptaszynski of Vintage Blue Studio have a throw down! See how Andrew uses Heather Powers of Humble Beads' Polymer Bird-Head Pendant!

Art Bead Scene
Wondering how big 20mm really is? Here's a handy size chart to keep by your computer. It'll help you out!

Snap out of it, Jean! There's beading to be done!
Jean reviews Contemporary Copper Jewelry by the wonderful Sharilyn Miller

About.com Jewelry Making
What's in a name, the name of your jewelry pieces that is? Here are a few tips to consider when naming jewelry you sell through the web.

Cheers.

1 comment:

Andrew Thornton said...

From the little bits of grain that I can see, it might be balsa wood.