Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Some People are So Hard to Please


Here's a new pendant design from me - a floating box within a box. I actually made this for my mother, to put a photo of the Short One in the center. When she sort of indicated to me, "Why would I wear something like that?", I tried filling it with sea glass instead. I kind of like it this way - what do you think?

However, on a whim, I cut out a teenie photo of the SO and stuck it in the box to see how it looked (very cute) - and Mom was so smitten with it that I guess it's going home with her after all. Tsk. Mothers.

The next time I make one of these (and there will be a next time - I like the way this came out), I think I'm going to make it reversible, with a square frame on the back for a slightly larger photo. Then I'll fill the front with the sea glass...

Thanks for visiting!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh no she didn't! sounds like something my mom would say; she's hard to please too!

Barbara Lewis said...

This is my first post to your blog and I had to tell you how smart your pendant is. I like the sea glass, I'm a fan (I have about 500 lbs of it) but I think the reversible idea is a great one!

Melissa J. Lee said...

My mother will take something off of my knitting needles practically before I finish knitting it (we pretty much wear the same size sweater), but she hasn't been so interested in the jewelry - she prefers more discreet designs! Still, anything with the SO's photo is good, apparently. :)

Melissa J. Lee said...

Hi Barbara, Thanks so much - and thanks for visiting!

kate mckinnon said...

I love the Box within a Box design- it's timeless and a great frame. Another good idea to consider is the interchangeable box-in-box. I can't seem to find any photos of mine on my computer. I'm dreadfully disorganized and stupid from the flu.

But you can fix your inner box in there with a little mechanism, which can be very simple, and change it out to suit your mood. I have a project in my new mixed media book that does something like that.

I love your work, as always.

Melissa J. Lee said...

Ooh, that sounds great, Kate! I love the idea of an interchangeable box.

I couldn't do half of the things I know to do with metal clay now without your Structural Metal Clay.
Obviously, I'm going to order your new books as soon as they are available (and I have already pre-ordered the DVD). I'm still hoping to take a class one of these days!

Thank you for your kind words.

Unknown said...

Wow! Really?! I love it!