Sunday, September 20, 2009

Robin Hood Hat, anyone?


It's getting to be that time of year again... Of the many projects I pushed aside last week that I urgently have to get back to, designing my son's Halloween costume is near the top of the list. I've vowed to continue knitting his costumes until he finds homemade costumes embarrassing (I'm sure that day will come - I'm just not sure when). I try to make them as functional as possible, so he can wear them after the event. Here's the one of a certain favorite monster I made two years ago that was quite successful. After Halloween, he was able to wear the hat all winter, and I simply changed out the cookie buttons on the sweater to nice leather ones, and that lasted all winter, too.

This year, he's announced that he wants to be Robin Hood. This will entail an (easy and) nice green vest and, if I have time, a quiver of arrows with a little satchel for gold coins, but I'm tearing my hair out trying to design a nice hat for the costume. Anyone know of any knitting patterns for Robin Hood hats? If not, I guess I'll have no choice but to (grumble, grumble) get out the graph paper... I was so hoping he'd want to be a Viking this year (I want to knit horns! I want to knit horns!), but I don't think he quite yet grasps what a Viking is...

For once, I'm timely on my beady links. Enjoy, everyone:

The Writing and Art of Andrew Thornton
Andrew announces his BIG SALE! Check out all the goodies!

Barbe Saint John - New Jewelry from Forgotten Artifacts
Barbe goes crazy over Mixed Metals book

Jewelry & Beading
Why wouldn't we talk about fashion on a jewelry and beadwork blog?

Carmi's Art/Life World
Carmis creates a necklace using canvas and leather.

Art Bead Scene
Art Bead Scene shows off her top art bead picks for this month's Kandinsky Challenge.

A Bead A Day
Bead-wiring vs. bead-weaving...which do you prefer?

Earthenwood Studio Chronicles
Melanie shares her uncertainty about a new dragonfly pendant design.

About.com Jewelry Making
Loving some filigree, check out these new filigree jewelry projects.

Cindy Gimbrone aka Lampwork Diva
Cindy makes more Through the Looking Glass Nuggets Charms that match perfectly with Frost Links.

Lorelei's Blog: Inside the Studio
Bead cones can be used in more way than one and Lorelei shows an example!

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

SuzyQSparkles said...

So. What did you find out / do about the Robin Hood hat? I keep wanting to make one for my son when we go to Ren Faire each spring. That and a Pirate Hat. I want to make that one too!

Melissa J. Lee said...

To be honest, I was too tired to work out a pattern on my own (and I never found a commercial one), so I "cheated" and cut one out of felt for his costume. (There's a picture on the blog somewhere around Halloween.) As far as pirate hats go, there's a free pattern here: http://scrubberbum.typepad.com/patterns/2005/11/kids_pirate_hat.html

Also, I made my son a simple pirate costume last year with a red kerchief-style hat. Photo is here:

http://strandsofbeads.blogspot.com/2008/10/blow-man-down.html. The hat is just a simple watch cap - I sewed a bow onto one side and added a "gold ring" made from I-cord.

SuzyQSparkles said...

Thanks for the info and links!