Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Gone Fishin'


I'm not addicted to the Internet - I can quit any time I want to. Yeah, the Husband guffaws when I say that, too. I just finished reviewing a contract for one of my projects, and I thought I'd give myself a break and do a little last-minute blogging.

The advance copy for the July issue of BeadStyle arrived in the mail today, and I've been sitting here admiring myself in it all afternoon. Okay, maybe it's not quite that bad, but I must say that BeadStyle gave me the royal treatment in this issue. I have the entire Gallery section to myself - a two-page spread with three of my necklaces, including the one containing the focal piece, above. (The gorgeous ceramic shell beads I used in the focal are Terra Trinkets by Earthenwood Studio.)

The issue also arrived with the actual necklaces, at least one of which has been at the BeadStyle offices for almost a year. It feels good to get them back. Of course, because the Short One believes that all packages arriving at the house are presents for him, I did have to do a little negotiating over everything when I opened it, but ultimately the SO, in his usual capacity as my stylist, simply demanded that I try on all of the necklaces and offered color commentary.

The necklaces in this issue of the magazine are three of the first six necklaces I ever made from PMC. I was so excited when I finished each one of them (let's face it, given my current finishing rate, I'm still excited when I finish anything). Although I like to think that my work has been evolving over the past year, I am still proud of these pieces. I hope you will take a look at them once the issue is available on newsstands, starting June 3rd. Thanks very much to the editors of BeadStyle Magazine for giving me such a wonderful opportunity. And thank you for your continuing support.

The Short One's nose has been dripping copiously all day, but he doesn't have a fever, and he's been quite cheerful. I gave him a new box of crayons as a consolation and he descended upon them with cries of joy, happily spending most of the afternoon, on and off, coloring with them, arranging them in piles, taking them out of piles, stuffing them back in their box, taking them out of their box, etc., etc. They are currently scattered all over the living room (the SO is reasonably good at picking up and clean up time, but some days are better than others). I suppose I should go pick them up myself and put them in order for playtime tomorrow morning.

Okay, that's it from me for May - I am officially out to lunch. I just closed down my Etsy store (to re-open June 1st), and I'm signing off here. Toodle-loo! Have a great Memorial Day weekend. See you in June.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melissa,

We're thrilled to be able to showcase your work in our July issue. And thanks for letting us hold them hostage for so long! Both Lindsay and I are Shakespeare lovers so Love-in-Idleness really spoke to us.

We're looking forward to seeing more of your work really soon. In the meantime, if you're a subscriber, you should post some of your work (maybe the etsy pieces?) in the Subscriber's Gallery at beadstylemag.com.

Have a great Memorial Day!

Cathy Jakicic
BeadStyle

Melissa J. Lee said...

Hi Cathy,

Thanks so much for your kind comments. I just discovered the BeadStyle blog recently, and I am still exploring all of the features on your website. I will certainly check out the Subscriber's Gallery in June and participate in it!

I hope you have a great holiday weekend, too!