Sunday, October 11, 2009

Daisy, Daisy


Last October, I had a project in Step by Step Beads entitled "Pushing Up Daisies". It juxtaposed one of Joan Miller's beautiful skull beads with cheerful ceramic daisies that Melanie Brooks at Earthenwood Studio kindly made for me in custom colors. I really loved this combination, and I decided to re-visit the whole idea again this year.

Although the image of a skull and rose is a common dramatic theme, something about the combination of a skull with a sweet summer daisy is so incongruously light-hearted that it really appeals to me. This time, I used whimsical ceramic beads from Jennifer Heynen of Jangles and one of my own small skully charms to create the piece. An onyx rectangle pulls the focal together, which is then simply strung with yellow jade barrels. I like the contrast of the subdued, fine silver skull with the cute, floral element and the bright colors of the other beads.

So there you have it - a nice, non-traditional take on the season. Thanks for visiting!

17 comments:

Laura Sparling said...

I like this - it's pretty, groovy and halloweeny all at the same time. Great design and I love that little skull!

Laura

mairedodd said...

how perfectly unexpected! instead of grim, the skully looks upbeat! i am all for seeing things differently - really awesome!

TesoriTrovati said...

Now that is the way that I would wear a skull! I love the opposing images....makes you look twice! Love it, Melissa! Enjoy the day! Erin

Anonymous said...

yes, i like the little skull surprise!

Melissa said...

Very cute! I definitely think this has a cool "Day of the Dead" vibe to it. :)

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thank you, Laura! (And may I say that your cute cupcake beads are the sweetest?)

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thank you, Maire! There seem to be two camps for skull designs - one dark and gothic and one cheerful and lighthearted - and I tend to fall into the latter.

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks, Erin!

Melissa J. Lee said...

Sandy, Thanks! I like the idea of a "skull surprise".

Melissa J. Lee said...

Hi Melissa - I like your nickname! (I am either a Mel or a Lisa). I love Day of the Dead motifs - I certainly have to tip a hat in that direction!

Margot Potter said...

Love this necklace! You're a really thoughtful and thought provoking designer and I love that you share that with us.

Cheers,
Madge

Candace Jedrowicz said...

This necklace really tickled me! I love your humorous styling!

Inspired at Home said...

Loving this necklace! Thanks for sharing!

Tiffany

Kat, The Fearless Crafter said...

PRETTY!! I'm really diggin the skully dangly!

That Crazy Ajumma said...

I like how hippie-ish this looks.
I would totally wear this!
I am jealous over you finding the metal skull pendant..lol.

Unknown said...

I love this! The skull charm is perfect. I definitely need some cute Halloween jewelry...I would so wear something just like this!

Pattie Wilkinson said...

The swinging skull is super-uber cute!