Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Try, Try Again


With fall approaching (at the risk of sounding like a broken record - how can it be August already? How?), I've started thinking about my favorite holiday for themed jewelry - Halloween. I think you'll be seeing new pieces incorporating these guys pretty soon. (I've also been thinking that I'd better start knitting the Short One's costume soon, if I have any hope of being ready for the holiday this year - I think I've knit about ten lines of anything in the past several months. Shameful.)

The SO has decided that he no longer needs to eat fresh fruit and vegetables. He's on what his pediatrician calls "the white diet" right now - rice, pasta and dairy (well, and juice, which is key, actually). In an effort to get him to ingest some fresh fruit, I've resorted to a little sleight of hand. For the past couple days I've been making the SO fresh fruit "smoothies", by trying out different combinations of ice, fruit and a little juice. The results have been somewhat hit or miss, but I happened upon a really popular combination today:

the SO's super-special "blueberry juice"

1/4 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup fresh pineapple
1/3 ripe banana
1/4 cup strawberry/orange/banana juice
1 cup crushed ice
(all mixed together in the food processor)

The result is refreshing without being syrupy sweet. Not only did the SO drink the whole thing up, he asked for seconds. (I may have done a little happy Snoopy dance in the kitchen, when he wasn't looking.) Oh, the lengths we go to, to try and ensure a balanced diet in the smaller members of our family. After a little covert self-congratulation, the Husband and I hauled the SO to the grocery tonight to buy more fresh fruit and some fresh veggies (why stop with just fruit juice?). We tried to be nonchalant about it, as we would hate for the SO to suspect that we're trying to pull something over on him. I can only hope this trend continues (or that he decides to start eating his fruits and veggies again at the dinner table, sigh).

Thanks for visiting!

ps. It's the last day to enter my Blog Anniversary Giveaway. Please go here for details. I will have the Short One pick a winner tomorrow (Thursday) evening.

2 comments:

Christina J. said...

Ah yes, I remember the white diet!

Guess what? I did find a place for N to take pottery classes! The one in Evanston didn't work out. I found one that I was willing to drive him to in Chicago, but then I came across a new place that opened in Arlington Heights! So, he's all registered there and ready to go. He's super excited about it, too. Thanks for all your help and suggestions with this! :)

Melissa J. Lee said...

Hi Christina,

Oh, I'm so glad you found a class! I hope N. loves it. I'll look forward to reading about his new adventures in clay on your blog.