Thursday, August 7, 2008

Psssst - Spread the Word



Monkees have been sighted in the blogosphere again. For anyone who is a fan of monkees but who hasn't yet heard, Monkee Maker is back from her three month hiatus, and she has a new website. As we house two foreign exchange monkees in our own house, we are all quite excited by this new development. (It does seem as if the plan for world domination is proceeding apace, too.)

For anyone who has not yet discovered MM and her Monkees Made of Knit (and hasn't the faintest idea what I'm talking about), I highly recommend a visit not only to the new website but also to her old blog archives, which can be found here. A more charming group of knit primates are not to be found anywhere.

On the beading front, I have this new strand for show-and-tell:


I agonized for about a week before I finally bit the bullet and purchased it. This is a strand of petrified opal - green and common opal that has formed within petrified wood. I've never seen anything quite like this (I'd be interested if anyone else has experience with this stone). These rondelles are huge - about 31 mm in diameter, the size of a silver dollar. I'd love to string them all together for a simple necklace, but I don't think I (or anyone else) would be able to lift my (or their) head from the floor after putting it on. I find it quite hard to buy stone like this from the Internet - there's really no comparison to being able to see and touch it in person. Ultimately, I took a risk and purchased it, anyway, and am very glad to add it to my stash. I'm sure individual stones will be popping up in my jewelry design pretty soon.

Thanks for visiting!

ps. The SO will pick a winner out of his hat for the Giveaway tonight before being hauled up, complaining, to bed. I'll try to post the winner's name tonight, but latest tomorrow. Thanks!

6 comments:

Christina J. said...

Very pretty stones! I haven't seen anything like them.

Anonymous said...

They are really lovely stones and all unique in themselves which adds to the attraction.

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks, Christina and Gladys. Now I just have to think about the best way to use them...

Amanda said...

Oh good heavens.
Those stones. Are so gorgeous.
I assume they're really heavy, judging by what you said about stringing them altogether. You know, and large.
They are -remarkably- beautiful, though. Would you mind letting us know where you bought them?


That monkee is absolutely precious. I think I may have to start reading the Monkee Maker blog regularly... it's just cute!

Melissa J. Lee said...

Hi Amanda, Well, I bought these through Urban Bead Bazaar on Etsy (store name: ubbbusiness), but I think this was the only strand they had...

Amanda said...

Thanks for letting me know, Melissa! Even if they're sold out, that's okay - I like looking at bead supply shops anyways. Maybe I'll find something else I can pine over. ;)