Sunday, August 24, 2008

Pushing Up Daisies


Well, I'm back with another shameless plug. I just received my advance copies of the Sept/Oct 2008 issue of Step by Step Beadsyesterday. My necklace, "Pushing Up Daisies", appears as a project in this issue. Although this is not the first of my projects to see publication, it was the first one that was accepted for publication back in January, so I am quite excited to see it.

I have to say, the photography in this issue is out of this world. As far as my project goes, it's a bit of a humorous but gothic piece (if you are thinking "????", you will just have to find a copy of the magazine, eh?) that incorporates beads from two of my favorite beadmakers, Melanie Brooks Lukacs and Joan Miller. It also incorporates a sterling silver toggle clasp by Robert Jennick that I love.

Speaking of Melanie, check out the absolutely gorgeous cover necklace above, which is hers and which uses her fantastic Steampunk beads. Carter Seibels, of Divali Glass Jewelry, whose lampworked beads are completely drool-worthy (seriously, check out her website now, if you are not already familiar with her work), also has a cool project in the magazine.

On other fronts, we had beautiful, sunny mid-70s weather here today, so we took the Short One on a day trip which involved a new children's museum, lunch at an outdoor cafe and the SO's very first ride on a merry-go-round (this was a rather beautiful example of a carousel, too - he rode an elaborately painted tiger). A fine time was had by all. I hope you had an equally nice weekend.

4 comments:

Lorelei Eurto said...

YAY!!
Congratulations! When is this on stands, do you know?? I can't wait to see it!

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks, Lorelei! I don't actually know when it will be available, but since it's a Sept. issue, I expect that it ought to be out before the end of August?? I think??

Christina J. said...

Congratulations! I'll have to look for this issue when it hits newsstands.

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks, Christina!!