Thursday, August 21, 2008

Checkmate



Thanks for your patience. We managed to swing by the Apple Store finally to procure a new power cord. Our computer is not brand new and is no longer under warranty, so we expected to have to shell out $80+ for a new cord. However, when I approached the sales associate to make sure I'd picked up the cord for the right model computer, he checked the information (noting the melted and ruptured area in the cord I handed to him), asked me how old the computer was, opened a factory sealed box, handed me the new cord, stuffed the damaged one in the box and said, "You're all set." Have I mentioned how much I like Apple?

Here's what I've been doing in my Internet-less state. I've been wanting to add more color to my pendants for a while now. However, I've been leery of purchasing any enamel powder. It just seems too easy for that stuff to become inadvertently airborne and, with the Short One around, I don't want to risk any accidents (for the uninitiated, the powder is NOT healthy to inhale). So, I decided to try colored resin, instead (which has its own safety issues, but in my opinion, these are a little easier to control than loose powder). I must say, I'm pretty pleased with the results. I did learn the hard way that working with opaque resin is tricky in that you won't necessarily see the air bubbles in the resin before it cures, but that doesn't mean that there aren't a heap of them floating around in it. Argh. Anyway, I'm a big fan of black and white checks, so I thought that would be an easy way to start - with a little heart thrown in for good measure. I wasn't exactly thinking of the Queen of Hearts in Alice In Wonderland when I made this piece, but of course it does remind me of her now.

I hope everyone has been having a good week. Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

Christina J. said...

Glad to hear your computer issues are resolved and you're back up and running. I have some books about making things with resin, but haven't tried it. I like your checkerboard pendant; I, too, am a fan of black and white checkerboard patterns. :)

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks, Christina! Actually, now would be a good time to try the resin - not too hot outside but not yet cold.