Monday, April 28, 2008

I Think, Therefore I Am


Hi, how are you? I hope you had a good weekend. We ended up having a nice weekend with my brother-in-law and sister-in-law. My brother-in-law who, like the Husband, is an excellent cook, wanted to visit a well-known spice store that's in the town where I used to live when I was a single girl, so we took a little trip over there during the weekend. The store is so redolent with the scent of exotic spices that it hits you like a ton of bricks the second you open the door to the shop. I would have a hard time working in that environment without having serious sinus issues, I think, but it's quite pleasant to visit.

The Short One and I visited the local yarn and bead stores while the men were shopping for spices. (I worry about the impact of the spices on the SO's nose - they're that strong - so I took the SO elsewhere. It's just coincidence that we ended up yarn and bead shopping. No, really.) I'm sure a tougher man would not have been able to avoid the temptation of the ball winders and the shiny beads, either, so I wasn't all that surprised that I had to haul the SO out of each venue (complaining bitterly) after a few minutes. When the men rejoined us, they were carrying bags of epicurean treasure with such exotic names as "grains of paradise" (I love that one - apparently, it's a pepper substitute). The aroma that filled the car on the ride back was unbelievable.

On other fronts, I still have a troublesome, hacking cough, but otherwise seem to be on the mend. However, after a week of mild weather, the temperature has dropped again, and we even had snow this afternoon. The SO was sniffling suspiciously today - I hope I'm wrong, but I'm just bracing myself for yet another round of colds in the house. Arrgh.

This necklace was another piece I made as a contest entry. It's sort of an homage to my love of cyberpunk. The binary code in the piece spells out the Cartesian principle "I think, therefore I am", which in this context is my own little joking reference to artificial intelligence. The multiple strands of leather cording are intended to suggest bundled computer cables. I intended to make beads based on circuit board design, as well, to put in the piece, but ended up running out of time. I may try to work those up separately at some point, though.

In the meantime, I've done an 180 and am currently working on a piece with an Italian Renaissance flavor - ornate and over the top. It's probably going to take me some time to finish this one, but I'm sure it will show up here eventually, once it's done.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: