Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Shipping Reduction


I have to admit, when I started making the charms a couple weeks ago, I had a bit of a dilemma - keep my standard Priority Mail shipping for the charms or more over to First Class Mail? I really prefer Priority Mail - it's convenient and it's somewhat trackable. However, I was preparing to mail my winner's charm to her last night, and it just seemed like overkill to insist on boxing it up and sending it Priority. So, I'm going to try something different. For the time being, only the charms will carded and bagged, rather than boxed, and shipped via First Class in a padded envelope. We'll see how that works out.

If you are a designer or beadmaker, and are willing to share your opinion, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on how you handle shipping.

Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

Spirited Earth said...

i'm rather new to selling beads,however i have shipped commercially,usps and ups for over 20yrs.
for the beads i'm shipping first class in padded envelopes,but adding the extra 80cents for tracking on the larger orders.
this at least will allow me to see the progress of the order and that they did in fact arrive.

Melissa J. Lee said...

Oh, that's a good idea!

beautifullybrokenme said...

Hi Melissa -

I don't know if you use Paypal, but if you do, they have a "multi-order shipping" option that I always use, even if I only have one thing to ship. Through it, I am able to send First Class and still have a tracking number. I've also discovered that, more often than not, my packages get to their recipients faster than Priority.

Good luck!

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thank you, Molly - I do use PayPal!

Regina said...

I use PayPal and USPS first class mail with delivery confirmation added on for a few cents mote. Both the customer and I can track the package. I go the added step to insure all my packages as I do not want to deal with a lost package. So far, all my packages have reached their destination safely. Twice a little late, but arrived safe finally. I only use priority mail when the items are high priced or I have many items going to one customer. A well padded envelope works well. Hope this helps.

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks, Regina!

Mary Harding said...

Hi Melissa,
I ship all small orders First Class. It comes with delivery confirmation for 19 cents so the package is trackable. If you use PayPal and ship to the address they give you, you get additional protection.
Your charms would be perfect in a small padded envelopes since they are not as fragile as other kinds of beads. And it is true, First Class is fast to every where except maybe California if you are on the east coast but still fast enough. Hope this helps.

Melissa J. Lee said...

Mary, That's really helpful - thank you so much!