Monday, January 12, 2009

Ring in the New Year


I've been wanting to make a banana split ring for almost two years, longer than I've been working with metal clay at all. (I have a thing for sweets beads, you may recall - I can't explain it. They just make me happy.) Here's my first try - I don't know why it took me so long.

My first ring-making efforts back in the summer of 2007 resulted in a (somewhat unstable) lampworked sundae ring:


Back then, I'd only been making jewelry for a couple months. I didn't know the right adhesive to use and the ring design itself was not structurally sound. But it was definitely a learning experience. From this ring, I went on to various attempts to make a lampworked banana split bead, like this:


but I just never got around to making that banana split ring. Really, there are probably a few things I would change with this ring design the next time, which I may do. Eventually. Still, I think I can live with it for a first effort. It also makes me happy thinking about eating ice cream in WARMER WEATHER. I still eat ice cream in the middle of winter (read my profile), but it's much more enjoyable to tackle a mouth-watering banana split in the summer, to my mind, at least.

In the meantime, back in reality, we're bracing for more snow here this afternoon. Sigh.

Thanks for visiting!