Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Signature "S"


I'm afraid I still don't have anything new to show you of my own work, so I thought I'd show you a favorite piece from my own personal collection. Anyone familiar with Sarah Moran's work will know right away that these boro beads were made by her. In fact, however, the whole necklace is Sarah's work, including the signature "S" lampworked button that she uses on many of her finished pieces (all of her finished jewelry incorporates a signature "S", but sometimes it appears on a bead, rather than a button). In addition to beads, Sarah very occasionally sells finished jewelry. I fell in love with this necklace the minute I saw it. It is one of the few finished pieces made by a beadmaker that I own. (I also have a small collection of Navajo and Zuni jewelry - I love Native American jewelry - but that's for another time.)

On other fronts, the Short One has been going gangbusters with crayons recently. He's been so prolific with his artwork, I'm really at a loss as to what to do with it all (they do make nice art for notecards, though). Like most mothers, I always carry a few crayons in my purse for dining out and for emergencies. After the nth time searching for crayons that had rolled under the table at the SO's favorite Japanese restaurant, the Husband and I were determined to find a set of square, non-rolling, crayons. I remember that they were available during my own childhood, but I really hadn't seen them around recently. After hunting around for a while, we finally found a set of triangular crayons (made by Melissa & Doug - love that company) at a local art supply store. They are simply fab! The SO finds the new shape intriguing, and the triangular shape seems sturdier and less liable to snap than the conventional round ones. The amount of time we spend searching the floor for stray crayons during meals out has dropped by 80%. I highly recommend them for anyone with a little artist in the family.

Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Lovely piece. Wow triangular crayons that's too cool. I will have to check them out for my little one. Hope all is well. Thanks for linking to my blog in yesterdays post.

Christina J. said...

Triangular crayons - what a great idea! N. is 7 and that would still be a great thing for when we go out to eat. I know what you mean about the artwork. Sometimes I feel like I'm drowning in a sea of his artwork. I wish I could keep it all. I started putting some of it on Artsonia. It's a pretty nice site. And people who live far away from you can see his artwork, too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa - talk about serendipity - I found this site thru another blogger I know and after reading your post here I thought you might like it!
http://artfulparent.wordpress.com/

Elaine

Melissa J. Lee said...

Hi Rachel - no problem! Thank you so much for making the banner for me - it was really nice of you.

Christina - I bought the crayons at Dick Blicks Art Supply. They were a little more expensive than the usual kind (I think I paid $4.99 for a set of 24), but they have been working out great for us. Oh, Artsonia looks pretty cool - I've never heard of it before. Thanks for the link!

Hi Elaine!! Thanks so much for the link! That's a great blog - I'm definitely going to bookmark it!