Thursday, January 24, 2008

Macrame



This is an old and not terribly good photo of a necklace I strung over the summer. However, given that it's almost 1:30am over here, I'm just going to settle for the old photo rather than trying to re-take it tonight. This was my first try at macrame. The gorgeous lampworked beads are by Sarah Moran. Sarah herself often uses macrame in her own jewelry, and I've always loved the way it looks, so I thought I'd give it a try with one of the sets of her beads that I own. I used leather cord, which was probably a mistake, since leather stretches. Also, because the beads have flat sides, rather than being round, one or two will occasionally have a tendency to pop out of the macrame lacing (or whatever the appropriate word is - I'm afraid I'm not terribly macrame savvy). Despite these defects, I really like the way this piece turned out - it makes a very dramatic statement when I wear it.

On more recent beading fronts, I rummaged around tonight in my box of jewelry supplies and found a spool of thin stringing wire with enough yardage left to make the Giveaway piece for Saturday, so I write this while surrounded by beads, and tools. (Sadly, as well, this means no trip to the bead store for me. Alas.) It's occurred to me as I sit here that I've cleverly scheduled the Giveaway to end on a day when the house will be full of relatives visiting to celebrate Someone's Birthday. You'd think I would have taken this into account when I set the date, given that the Giveaway is also to celebrate Someone's Birthday, but no. Apparently, I really can't hold more than one thought in my head at a time, without a dozen other things falling out. Oh, well.

My attempt to hide the computer in the closet to avoid discussions with the Short One about the merits of spending all day playing Elmo's "Keyboard-a-Rama" were short-lived. Plus, perhaps it was my imagination, but I could have sworn I heard typing noises coming from the closet (you will recall that Jungle Monkey Junior, our erstwhile stand-in for the SO's favorite monkey, is also currently residing there). It did make me wonder how long it would take one monkey, typing randomly on our computer, to come up with a script for "Hamlet". (If this all sounds like the insane ravings of a madwoman - or at least one who is up too late at night, don't worry about it.)

Okay, I should really go finish up and toddle off to bed. Oh, and, by the way, remember that the 40% off sale in my Etsy store ends at midnight tomorrow. Cheers!

4 comments:

Maria Nyberg said...

Nice macrame bracelet and beautiful lampwork beads.

Maria Nyberg said...

Nice macrame bracelet and beautiful lampwork beads.

Maria Nyberg said...

Nice macrame bracelet and beautiful lampwork beads.

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks, falskblondin! I think I need to practice the macrame part a little, though...