Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Sweetheart



Happy Boxing Day! I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas (for those who celebrate Christmas, of course). The Short One made out like a bandit. In fact, he had so many gifts that he lost steam halfway through and completely lost interest in the remaining gifts (I'm assuming that age will take care of this little issue, if you can even call it that). He didn't manage to open the last gift until right before bedtime. In addition to the fancier gifts (toy bus, huge toy train, etc., etc., etc.), being a cheapskate, I cleverly purchased one of the big box of 96 crayons that had been on sale at the local grocery store, wrapped it (having taken out the crayon sharpener - he's still a little young to cope with that) and stuck it in his stocking. It's turned out to be one of his absolute favorites.

As for me, in addition to the really beautiful digital camera that was an early gift in November, I received a Lortone 3lb rock tumbler, which I have been wanting for some time - not for polishing rocks (although I intend to use it for that purpose, too), but for polishing silver. I still need to buy the mixed stainless steel shot for the drum, but I'm really eager to try it out. And the Husband (who is an engineer), having noticed my steely eyed squint most nights when I work on jewelry, bought me a Bausch & Lomb magnavisor - a sort of magnifying helmet-thingy that's commonly used by toolmakers. Yep, come to think of it, I made out like a bandit, myself. One thing I find funny on the blogs I read (much of which is jewelry-related) is how much the authors get excited by gifts of tools and machinery. I'm sure it must seem unfathomable to most women. Of course, if you were "most women", you probably wouldn't be reading this blog, right?

Moving right along, you may have noticed from the photo above that I've zipped right past Christmas and New Years onto Valentine themed jewelry. I'm pretty happy with the way this sweetheart pendant turned out, although, of course, the carved coral rose does most of the work, here. I must confess that I'm not much of a Valentine's Day person, and I don't tend to like conventional heart jewelry all that much. Coming up with holiday themed pieces (I have two or three in mind) has not been easy. The next one that's in the planning stage is pretty unconventional. I hope to have it ready to show you within the week.

In the meantime, I hope everyone is enjoying the remainder of the year. I'll see you tomorrow.

2 comments:

melanie brooks said...

YAY tools! I didn't get any tools this year, unless you include the waffle maker. I don't get a lot of craft stuff because I like to pick it out myself usually and write it off. I did get a big pile of inexpensive plastic lunch trays from a restaurant supply place, which are invaluable for projects.

So what kind of tumbler is it? vibrating or rotating? I have a rotating one, Loritone (very good brand) and I use small porcelain shot for the media. They are like white BBs. They take longer, but I find that i can put my wire wrapped fired clay jewelry in and the clay won't get scuffed. Might work with resin too... Its worth getting a pound or so to play with if you can find it...

Melissa J. Lee said...

You know, I never thought about buying and writing off the tumbler. I'm such a newbie at this.

It's a rotating tumbler by Lortone. I haven't seen the porcelain shot around, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for it - sounds good. I'd definitely try it out on the resin.