Sunday, July 18, 2010

Now Open!


The store is now open, such that it is. At the beginning of the year, I had big ambitions to get off Etsy, establish my own storefront on a newly-developed website and really get rolling with bigger pieces. Then, life got in the way, and I find that I don't really have a lot of time to devote to jewelry-making at all right now, and that this lack of time will probably continue for the next two to three years. At which point, who knows where any of us will be? Life is full of possibilities, after all.

However, in the meantime, I still have modest ambitions. I've scaled back, but I have at least tied my blog into my web address (www.melissajlee.com, for those of you who come to me through www.strandsofbeads.blogspot.com). I still intend to phase out my Etsy presence during the course of the year (I am leaving it up while magazines and books which identify that store as the place to find me are still new and around). And I have opened a small, little storefront directly on my blog. There aren't many pieces in there right now - just a few pendants. However, they're pendants that, with one exception, I haven't previously offered for sale. And this trend will continue from here on out.

You see, I've decided to be selfish. Since I have very limited time, I'm going to work only on making pendants, beads and jewelry that actually interest me now. Which happen to be more three dimensional pieces - like the divided boxes. Although I still like my earlier designs, like "Geek Love" (which still appears in the Etsy store), I'm really more interested in new work. And maybe some large finished pieces. And if the wind shifts and my interest turns, I'll create different projects at that point.

Given my circumstances, even when I put up new work, there will never be more than a few pieces in the store at one time. Nevertheless, I hope you will check there periodically to see what I've been up to.

Thank you - and thank you for continuing to follow my work!

10 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

Yea! That is awesome. I am just about to unveil my new website, but I don't have a storefront. I was going to give Etsy a shot, but now I am not so sure. Maybe it is better if I don't? Or maybe I need to spread it around? grrrrr...

(P.S. I think your link in this post isn't working...www.melissjlee.com...I added an "a" to your name and it took me there.)

Enjoy the day!
Erin

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks, Erin! Tch, typos. Etsy. Well, Etsy has definite advantages and some drawbacks. I just felt like bringing things closer to home...

Anonymous said...

yup, i have been so busy lately with the sale of our house and move to Tn, i've had no time to work on jewelry. which i totally miss. can't wait to get settled so i can get back to it.

i'll check out your new store, congrats!

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks! I hope everything goes smoothly with the move.

Erin Strother said...

good for you, Melissa! I know exactly what you mean about only doing the work that interests you. I will definitely check out the new shop!
Erin S

Unknown said...

It is good to follow your heart. :)

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

Mellisa--I like this idea very much. I may try it too!

jean! xox

Jeannie said...

New beginnings. This sounds like a smart move. I'll check it out and the best to you always Melissa.

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thank you so much for the support! To be honest, I don't know if it's a smart move or not, but it's a move I feel I really need to make right now...

Pretty Things said...

I absolutely love that pendant (or I'd call it a shrine) -- it's so lovely. And that's great on the web site! I have one but a newly, professionally designed one will debut in about a month and I am SO excited -- it's been TONS of work.

Glad I found your blog!