Sunday, December 14, 2008

Shameless Self Promotion: Stringing


This is both a beginning and an end for me - my first appearance in Stringing and my last appearance in print for 2008. The Winter 2008 Stringing goes on sale December 30th and contains my Dragon Hearted necklace project. Thank you so much to the editors of Stringing!

I've said this so many times already, but I have to say it once more - this was my first year in print, and I'm really grateful to everyone with whom I worked for taking a chance on my freshman work. I have certainly enjoyed designing for the magazines. Maybe the time will come when I feel so blase about the process that I will no longer even mention it on the blog, but I must (embarrassingly) admit that I still get as excited as a kid in a candy store whenever I have a new piece coming out. Professionalism, shmufessionalism.

And now that I'm through (for the moment) being shameless, I'll return you to your regularly-scheduled programming. Thanks for dropping in.

8 comments:

Mary Harding said...

Congratulations Melissa. You certainly are deserving of publication. Your work in so original and well crafted.

RupaB said...

Congrats...gotta pick up the latest issue and drool over the designs....

Andrew Thornton said...

For a first year, you've been busy! Congratulations on all your successes! May they continue and flourish in the many years to come! Just imagine how you'll have to fill your days once the SO goes to school and eventually leaves the nest? You'll be an unstoppable force!

TesoriTrovati said...

Greetings Melissa! I was checking out the Stringing site when I saw that the contributors list had changed. I always go to the web or blog of each contributor each time the issue is released. I, too, am celebrating my first time in Stringing with the Winter issue and my last publication this year. I have my own design company Tesori Trovati. I have loved the thrill of seeing my work in print, I don't think it could ever get old! I have been in Bead Trends 4x this year, and already more for 2009! My goal is to be published 1x per month in 2009. I see that we are on the same page! Best of luck! I like your blog very much especially the fun stories of the SO (mine are so not that short anymore!). I will look forward to seeing your designs (and mine!) in print soon! Erin, Tesori Trovati Jewelry
http://treasures-found.blogspot.com

Melissa J. Lee said...

Mary, Rupa and Andrew, Thanks so much for all of the kind comments. They mean a great deal to me, especially coming from such talented individuals as yourselves!

Andrew, I can't imagine what life will be like once the SO is in school. Part of me dreads it, and part of me is looking forward to it. I think the SO feels the same way!

Michelle Mach said...

I think it's great you post about your successes and hope you never stop! I gives other designers courage and inspiration. I probably would have started submitting a lot earlier had I been reading encouraging and helpful blogs like yours.

Melissa J. Lee said...

Hi Erin,

I still haven't received my advance copy of Stringing, but I took a peek at it at the local Borders a couple days ago - I loved your piece. Congratulations on all of your publication triumphs. I am having a hard time finding Bead Trends locally, for some reason, although the one copy I managed to get my hands on when I was traveling in NYC was really beautiful!

Melissa J. Lee said...

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your kind words. I hope you're right. I know sometimes people are hesitant to get started, and goodness knows, I get my fair share of rejections, but I think my experiences go to show that it can be done, even if you don't have a lot of prior experience.