Sunday, December 20, 2009

Technical Difficulties


They say bad things happen in threes, and I'm hoping my recent spate of bad things happening to good (?) technology is now over.

1. A few days ago, the battery on the main cordless phone in the house went on the fritz. Irritating, but I could live with replacing a battery.

2. Saturday, I was in a rush, dumped my laundry in without checking the relevant pockets - and accidentally sent my cell phone through the washing machine. We did bury it and the battery in rice as that recent Yahoo article suggested, but it's still dead as a doornail (doorknob? Whatever. You know what I mean.) This cheesed me off, but, of course, I have no one to blame but myself (and my bad memory).

3. Today, we looked away from the Short One for a few moments while he was playing a computer game on our MacBook - and, when we looked back, he had managed to crack the screen. Great. As much as the SO is significantly more mature than a year ago, sometimes we forget that he's still apt to do funny things at a moments notice. We're still not quite sure how he managed to break the screen, but absent one of his imaginary Mickey Mouse friends giving it a whack, we see no other possible culprits. Needless to say, we've booked time at our local Apple Store to see how much getting it fixed is going to set us back.

I hope your weekend was slightly better than ours. I think I will go console myself by taking another gander at these nifty bead and jewelry links:

A Bead A Day
Lisa shares a special gift she received from a friend, SHRINKY DINK earrings!! Still a great product after all these years!!

Lorelei's Blog: Inside the Studio
Lorelei tested out some cool chain from Rings and Things.

Snap out of it, Jean! There's beading to be done!
Would you like to investgate a lyrical book which explores all areas of your imagination and challenges your creativity? Try Lisa Crone's!

Carmi's Art/Life World
One shrunk sweater equals felted beaded mits for me!

Beading Arts
If you can string stone nuggets onto wire, and if you can crochet a simple chain stitch, then you can make this pretty necklace.

Cindy Gimbrone aka Lampwork Diva
Cindy explains why she chose Lee Krasner's painting "Untitled" for this month's Art Bead Scene Challenge.

About.com Jewelry Making
Sparkle plenty with this endless knotted red crystal necklace project!

Art Bead Scene
It's the last ABS monthly challenge of 2009. Are you running out of ideas and inspiration? ABS has just the antidote!
http://artbeadscene.blogspot.com/2009/12/designer-of-week-inspiration.html

The Writing and Art of Andrew Thornton
Thinking deep thoughts, Andrew offers up a sumptuous bracelet and adds a new bronze charm to his shop.

Strands of Beads
Melissa shares a cute find - sterling silver elephant clasps.

ps. The photo has nothing to do with anything in this post. I snapped the shot one day when the SO and I were playing with his blocks - I just thought it looked cool...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, that is pretty freaky! hope the bad streak is over.

ClickNCamera said...

It does seem to run in threes...I had my run of bad luck right after Thanksgiving. Why does this happen before Christmas? Wishing you better luck!

kate mckinnon said...

Ugh, the screen. That's bad news. He probably held it, and flexed it. Poor MacBook. Mine shivers in solidarity.

Dave Robertson said...

Sympathies from here...my kids simply cannot refrain from touching the computer screen, they're so engaged with what's going on in there...

Shai Williams said...

You are much braver then I am. When my then 12 year old stepson almost destroyed a laptop by downloading when he was told not too, I banned him from all computers in my house. This was 2 years ago but it still sticks. If he wants to use a computer his mother can buy him one and send it with him

Pretty Things said...

I haven't had the computer screen get cracked (yet) but have washed the phone. And dumped a hot cup of tea all down my front as I tried to get in the car. Nice.

Andrew Thornton said...

I feel for your technological pain. If it's any consolation, my car is dead. I will see the witch doctor... I mean, mechanic... once the snow has melted to see if it can be fixed.

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks, everyone. Unfortunately, given the age of the computer, the cost for fixing the screen really isn't worth it. We're considering our options right now. Sigh.

Lori, I once spilled an entire cup of coffee onto my brand-new office phone and shorted the whole thing out. The office manager was not pleased with me...

Andrew - when is the snow scheduled to melt?!? Sorry to hear about your continuing car woes. I hope you are at least enjoying time with your family.

Anonymous said...

Well I acquiesce in but I think the post should have more info then it has.