Thursday, December 31, 2009

Fair Game


I have the work of a guest designer to share today.

My mother-in-law, who (along with my father-in-law) has been visiting us for the holidays, is an artist, and I always find her comments on the use of color and design in my work very interesting. Although she doesn't actually bead very much herself, she came downstairs today wearing this necklace that she made.

Naturally, I immediately felt compelled to snatch it from her neck and photograph it for the blog. Just a word to the wise - any jewelry that enters my house is fair game. I love her design with its use of the oversized focal stone (Mom didn't remember the type of stone, but it looks like jasper to me - any other thoughts?) - simple yet elegant. The glass dangle was a bit of a found object - something she thinks she dug out of her own mother's jewelry box. She strung them with round lapis beads.

Thanks, Mom, for letting me show this off on the blog. It certainly is nice (and inspiring!) to have creative people in the family.

Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

First, please let me say that i absolutely adore this piece! So much talent in one family! Jasper is a good guess. It also reminds me of some forest agate and/or black agate I have seen. The patterns are really reminiscent of snowflake obsidian, but of course the color is wrong.

Jeannie said...

WOW! Interesting use of color. Lovely. My guess would be Kambaba Jasper because of the circular formations in the stone

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

really lovely--your child is lucky-- inheriting great talent from both sides of the family! :)

Anonymous said...

Nice post & nice blog. I love both.

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks for all of the nice comments - I'm sure my mother-in-law will appreciate it!