Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Portrait of the Watermelon as a Young Fruit


It was a very exciting day today, chez Short One. We woke up at 8am, got dressed and zoomed off to our first day of school. Well, technically, it's the local Mom's Morning Away program, but we call it pre-preschool at our house. I had weird dreams all night about dropping the SO off, but when the time came, it was fairly straightforward and eerily reminiscent of my own preschool days (funny how that works, eh?). The SO did not bawl, but he did hide behind the door for the first three minutes and refused to go into the classroom. When he finally decided it was safe to at least take a look inside, he zeroed in on a table full of play food and zoomed off into the room without a backward look.

Evidently, we both did fine for the first hour or so. I learned later from one of the teachers, that he did cry a few times during the class. For my part, I was the picture of parental rectitude, until I saw, in the distance, the class being led outside for their morning constitutional (I was waiting in the car for most of the class, convinced that I would be summoned to pick the SO up early - we had been warned that this could happen). As I watched my boy being led by the hand by the teacher, I sat back and bawled my head off. The really embarrassing thing about this, is that I found out later that the class I had seen wasn't the SO's class at all and the little boy in question had not been the SO. (I don't know if I've mentioned this before or not, but I'm really near-sighted.) I've resolved in the future to pack my husband's binoculars if I'm planning on waiting in the parking lot for any length of time.

Anyway, the above represents the fruit (okay, bad pun) of the SO's very first class away from home. It currently has pride of place (along with a second watermelon picture with fingerprint black "seeds") on our refrigerator door, except when the SO feels the overwhelming need to pull it down to show off to his Daddy or Grandpa (the latter vie iChat).

I wish I had further beady news here, but this was pretty much the excitement of the day. However, you can find my review of lampworked cupcake beads over at Art Bead Scene today, so please go here to check it out.

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa
So glad to hear that the SO did ok at school on his first day.You did pretty well also to keep your tears back for so long.Loved his picture,he obviously takes after him mum for his artistic talent.

Melissa J. Lee said...

Hi Gladys, Thank you! We are very proud of the SO!