Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Nothing to Wear??


Some people worry about what clothes to wear to a formal event. Lately, I've been thinking about what jewelry to wear to Bead & Button this year. Silly, eh? I may have mentioned this before, but I am more a process person in my jewelry making than anything else. I usually have difficulty wearing the pieces that I make, due to the fact that I tend to dress like a soccer Mom these days - tee-shirt, jeans and leather sneakers. (And I've given up wearing any jewelry at all when I'm with the Short One - ie, most of the day - after several rather expensive mishaps. The Short One is surprisingly gentle with my jewelry, but we do end up suffering from accidents more than I would like, due mostly to my toting him and his still-extensive bag of paraphernalia around with me.)

Having looked through my extensive drawers full of necklaces and deciding that I had nothing to wear for Sunday (the day I and my beading buddy Carolyn traditionally visit the B&B Marketplace), I set out to create a simple necklace just for this day. I decided I wanted to wear a koi pendant, but in a way that wasn't terribly decorative. I had picked up some nice heavy (about 6mm diameter) leather cord at Toho Shoji which I felt would work well. I made a couple of end caps for the cord and mocked-up this necklace tonight (the ends are not actually epoxied in yet, and one of the caps needs a little repair).

This is actually the pendant from that big piece I made for competition in April. I did disassemble that necklace - I've turned two of the links into earrings already, and I think the focal works very nicely here. The silver end caps give a nice finished look to the cord, but at the same time the piece as a whole is simple enough to go well with the usual tee shirt and jeans without looking ridiculous. Anyway, if anyone sees an Asian woman wearing this necklace at B&B on Sunday wandering around in a daze, clutching a handful of beads, that'll be me. Please do say "hi".

On other fronts, I've been meaning to mention this for a couple weeks - I've been invited to be a guest editor for Art Bead Scene this month, along with the uber-talented Jean Yates. Of course, I'm going to look like a complete amateur next to Jean with her polished and witty posts (not that I've been, y'know, fretting about this more than ten times a day or anything), but I'm going to give it my best shot. Jean has an inspired review of Jennifer Heynen's book Ceramic Bead Jewelry on Art Bead Scene today. My own post will appear later this week. Oh, and by the way, the theme for the Art Bead Scene Challenge this month is "Pearls of Wisdom". Why not enter?

Back to my exploration of the Garment District in NYC tomorrow. Thanks for visiting!

7 comments:

Christina J. said...

I don't think you are the only one who puts a lot of thought into what jewelry to wear to B&B! I was there last night and I saw some people wearing amazing jewelry. Have fun shopping on Sunday! As usual, I went over my planned shopping budget.

Melissa J. Lee said...

Hi Christina - So, WHAT DID YOU GET? Enquiring minds would like to know!!

Christina J. said...

I bought a resin pendant from Green Girl Studios, a black and white glass bead from Dora...Schubert, I think (I have to look and make sure I got her last name correct), A lilac bracelet from Elemental Adornments, A kit from Rachel Nelson Smith, and some silver chain. I didn't get a lot of quantity, but instead got small pieces of art. I'm going to blog about them this week so you can see photos. Can't wait to hear what you find! Wish I was going on Sunday so we could meet. Maybe next year. :)

Melissa J. Lee said...

Ooh, you managed to snag a Green Girl resin pendant?? I'm so envious. Yes, I have some of Dora Schubert's beads myself - she does beautiful work. I can't wait to see your photos! It would be nice to meet up at a future event! Once the SO is older, I intend to sign up for classes, etc. Right now, it's a bit hard to get away...

Melissa J. Lee said...

ps. I'm leaving for B&B in half an hour! Yay!

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Bwahhhaaaa!!! The Desperate ABS Editor is going to send the paparazzi after you! Make sure you close your curtains, wear sunglasses and a pink wig when you go out! Watch for the Sunday posts on Art Bead Scene where we expose the Art Bead Scene Neighbors! Bwahhhhaaa! (rubbing hands together in evil and gleeful anticipation!!)

(all Desperate ABS Neighborhood posts are done in the spirit of good fun and teasing ;-)

Have fun at Bead and Button - you're next!! Bwahhhaaaaa...

Melissa J. Lee said...

Eek! Say it isn't so! (On the other hand, if you want to give me "great gams" like Jean's, I won't object. ;) )