Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Cunning Plan?


So, my husband showed up at the dinner table tonight with the above photo - have you ever seen cuter bunnies nestled up together? Neither have we (I particularly enjoy the little hind leg and bottom on the right hand side of the photo). There's really only one problem with this scene:



Yes, it seems the mommy bunny that lives in our back yard took the initiative this year and set up her nest actually inside our garden box (right where the tomato and green bean seedlings are slated to be planted in a few weeks).

Each year, I watch our local rabbit wander oh-so-nonchalantly up to our garden boxes. Honestly, I can almost hear her whistling while looking in the opposite direction and gradually sidling up to the box in the most innocent manner. So, I just have this picture in my mind of her thinking, "Yes, prime real estate at last - maybe he won't even notice we're here!"

Not being the serious gardener in the family, the Short One and I are quite excited by our new neighbors. The Gardener, however, is somewhat tearing his hair out. Based on our extremely careful (ahem) internet research, though, it seems the babies should be leaving the nest in the next couple weeks, so the G. has agreed to wait until then. At which time, I'm sure he'll be seen spraying the box with fox pee (or whatever he thinks will actually keep the local wildlife away this year) - but that, as they say, is another story.

6 comments:

diane hawkey said...

my gosh that is sweet! I bet the short one is very delighted.

Melissa J. Lee said...

Yes, but I think the mother rabbit is somewhat less so!

Christina J. said...

What a cute photo! And how fun for the SO to observe.

Melissa J. Lee said...

Hi Christina! By the time we managed to finish dinner and sneak out there, the bunnies had burrowed into the nest (burrow?). You could just see a little nose sticking out here and there. We'll see what today brings...

Unknown said...

Ohhh is that ever precious Melissa! Little noses peeping out. The best things in life are free. Nice to see you back blogging! I guess you will just have to wait; then they will be nibbling your little beans ut oh!

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks for stopping in, Janet!