Thursday, March 26, 2009

Ornament Thursday - Celadon


Welcome to Ornament Thursday! This month's theme is "Celadon". I initially thought I would be working with a piece of jade, but I found this slab of chrysoprase when I was rooting around in my stash and ended up getting distracted (a common occurrence in this household, for various reasons).

This was an interesting exercise for me. Usually I pair chrysoprase with white or pastel colors - that tends to be my immediate inclination. However, I thought it would be interesting to combine it with more of a brown tone, here. I purchased the taupe-colored twisted cord specifically for this project. To be perfectly frank, I hardly ever design with this shade, as it has a tendency to clash with my skin tone. However, I think it actually works quite nicely with the pale green of the chrysoprase here. I added copper rose colored potato pearls above and a slightly brassier shade of biwa pearl below.

Interested in seeing other celadon-inspired projects? Please visit these links to the other OT members projects:

Celadon Dreamer
Michelle Zimmeman creates a dreamer box from one of her molds and Helen Bradley grabs another for her jewelry project.

Embellished Ear Wires
Lynn Kvigne of Beading Help Web shows you how to create these embellished ear wires in spring colors (like Celedon!)

OT Goes Celadon
Lisa finds calm in the color "Celadon"

Thanks for visiting!

6 comments:

Lisa said...

That is lovely!

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks, Lisa!

Shai Williams said...

It's not a necklace I could wear due to my skin tone but I find it lovely. It is very calming to look at :)

Melissa J. Lee said...

Hi Shaiha, I can't wear it either for the same reason! Still, it was refreshing to design with the color, since I hardly ever do. Thanks for your comment!

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

This is a stunning piece of work!

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks, Jean!